Amara is a town on the left bank
of the Tigris some 520 kilometres from the sea. The War Cemetery is a
little east of the town between the left bank of the river and the
NOTE: Whilst the current climate of political instability persists it is
extremely challenging for the Commission to manage or maintain its
cemeteries and memorials located within Iraq. Alternative arrangements for
commemoration have therefore been implemented and a two volume Roll of
Honour listing all casualties buried and commemorated in Iraq has been
produced. These volumes are on display at the Commission's Head Office in
Maidenhead and are available for the public to view.
The Commission continues to monitor the situation in Iraq and once the
political climate has improved to an acceptable level the Commission will
commence a major rehabilitation project for its cemeteries and
Before considering a visit to Iraq the Commission strongly recommends that
you check the advice given by the Foreign & Commonwealth Office on the
travel section of their website:
Amara was occupied by the Mesopotamian Expeditionary Force on 3 June 1915
and it immediately became a hospital centre. The accommodation for medical
units on both banks of the Tigris was greatly increased during 1916 and in
April 1917, seven general hospitals and some smaller units were stationed
Amara War Cemetery contains 4,621 burials of the First World War, more
than 3,000 of which were brought into the cemetery after the Armistice.
925 of the graves are unidentified. In 1933, all of the headstones were
removed from this cemetery when it was discovered that salts in the soil
were causing them to deteriorate. Instead a screen wall was erected with
the names of those buried in the cemetery engraved upon it. Plot XXV is a
Collective Grave, the individual burial places within this are not known.
There are also seven non-war graves in the cemetery.
Please click here for photographs of
some of the servicemen buried in the cemetery including three Victoria
Back to Index