Follow the road to Helles, opposite
the Kabatepe Museum. After 14.2 km's, take a right turn at the 'T' junction
and after 14.3 km's take the left fork. After a total of 25.2 km's, the
cemetery will be found on the right, down a short track. It is also 2 km's
north-east of Sedd-el-Bahr, between the road to Krithia and Kilid.
The Cemetery is permanently open and may be visited at any time.
Please note that in the absence of a cemetery register, visitors are advised
to locate the Grave/Memorial reference before visiting. This information can
be found in the CASUALTY RECORDS within the CWGC site.
For further information and enquiries please contact
The eight month campaign in Gallipoli was fought by Commonwealth and French
forces in an attempt to force Turkey out of the war, to relieve the deadlock
of the Western Front in France and Belgium, and to open a supply route to
Russia through the Dardanelles and the Black Sea.
The Allies landed on the peninsula on 25-26 April 1915; the 29th Division at
Cape Helles in the south and the Australian and New Zealand Corps north of
Gaba Tepe on the west coast, an area soon known as Anzac.
On 28 April, following the landings at Helles, the first attack was mounted
towards Achi Baba, the ridge which dominates the southern part of the
peninsula. Fatigue, however, brought the assault to a halt some kilometres
short of the objective, near the village of Krithia. Turkish counter attacks
followed but were repulsed and during the period 6-8 May, the 29th and
French Divisions, reinforced by the 2nd Australian and New Zealand Infantry
Brigades, carried out a renewed attack on Krithia, making some gains but
suffering heavy casualties.
Between 1 May and the beginning of June, the 29th Indian Infantry Brigade
and 42nd (East Lancashire) Division landed on the peninsula. With these
reinforcements, the Allied force at Helles pushed forward once more on 4
June, but again to little effect. A further attack between 28 June and 5
July at Gully Ravine inflicted heavy casualties on the Turks, but despite
local gains - at one point the line was pushed forward more than a kilometre
- there was no breakthrough. By 13 July the advance at Helles was
effectively over and the position remained unchanged until the evacuation in
Skew Bridge Cemetery was named from a wooden "skew" bridge carrying the
Krithia road across the Dere, just behind the centre of the line occupied by
the Allied forces on 27 April 1915. It was begun during the fighting of 6-8
May and used throughout the occupation. At the Armistice it contained only
53 graves (Plot I, less Row E), but was greatly enlarged when further
burials were brought in from the battlefields and from the following smaller
cemeteries:- Orchard Gully, R.N.D., Backhouse Post and Romanos Well.
There are now 607 First World War servicemen buried or commemorated in this
cemetery. 351 of the burials are unidentified but special memorials
commemorate a number of casualties known or believed to be buried among
The cemetery covers an area of 2,210 square metres.
Leslie Wilson Clegg
Royal Field Artillery
Killed in Action 3rd August 1915, aged 18.
Special Memorial A.
Son of Thomas and Margaret
A. Clegg, of 29, Robinson St., Burnley, Lancs.