The Anzac and Suvla
cemeteries are first signposted from the left hand junction of the Eceabat -
Bigali Road. From this junction you travel into the main Anzac area. After
11.8 km's, follow the metalled track to the cemetery which is 250 metres
from the main road.
The Cemetery is permanently open and may be visited at any time.
Please note that in the absence of a cemetery register, visitors are advised
to locate the Grave/Memorial reference before visiting. This information can
be found in the CASUALTY RECORDS within the CWGC site.
For further information and enquiries please contact
The eight month campaign in Gallipoli was fought by Commonwealth and French
forces in an attempt to force Turkey out of the war, to relieve the deadlock
of the Western Front in France and Belgium, and to open a supply route to
Russia through the Dardanelles and the Black Sea.
The Allies landed on the peninsula on 25-26 April 1915; the 29th Division at
Cape Helles in the south and the Australian and New Zealand Corps north of
Gaba Tepe on the west coast, an area soon known as Anzac.
On 25 April, Walker's Ridge was the post of command of Brigadier-General
Walker, then commanding the New Zealand Infantry Brigade. It was held by a
mixed force until 27 April, when the New Zealanders took it over. A Turkish
attempt to take the ridge on 30 June was repulsed by the 8th and 9th
Australian Light Horse.
The cemetery was made during the occupation and consists of two plots
separated by 18 metres of ground, through which a trench ran.
There are now 92 Commonwealth servicemen of the First World War buried or
commemorated in this cemetery. 16 of the burials are unidentified and
special memorials commemorate 26 soldiers known or believed to be buried in