Chanak Consular Cemetery (known
locally as the English Cemetery - Ingiliz MezarliGI) is 2 kilometres east
of the ferry terminal, near to the town stadium. The cemetery is kept
locked and visitors should ask at the Commission's office in Canakkale for
This cemetery is kept locked at all times and the key is kept at the CWGC
Cannakale Office located 5 minutes away. Visitors are advised to contact
the Office beforehand to obtain the key via one of the following:
Tel: +90 2862171010
Fax: +90 2862126705
Wheelchair access is possible via the main entrance.
For further information and enquiries please contact
The Consular Cemetery contains graves from 1860 to 1965. It was used for
three Naval burials in April 1915 and between 1918 and 1920, it was used
by No.84 Field Ambulance, No.28 Casualty Clearing Station and No.49
Stationary Hospital, which were stationed at Chanak. Later, two burials of
September 1915 were brought in from Rodosto Catholic Cemetery, at Tekirdag
and some pre-war graves from Gallipoli Consular Cemetery.
During the Second World War, Turkey retained her neutrality and those
Commonwealth servicemen buried there were mainly men taken prisoner during
operations in the Aegean, who died while attempting to escape from camps
where they awaited transport to Germany and Italy, and whose bodies were
washed up on the Turkish coast.
The cemetery now contains 38 Commonwealth burials of the First World War
and one from the Second. The Commission also cares for seven war graves of
other nationalities and a number of non war graves in the cemetery.