ACHICOURT ROAD CEMETERY
Pas de Calais
Achicourt Road Cemetery is 2 kilometres south
of the centre of Arras and is on the east side of the road to Amiens. The
cemetery is located at the crossroads D919 Arras to Bucquoy and the D5F
Beaurains to Achicourt, which is now part of a new roundabout. The cemetery
is about 50 metres off the roundabout on the right hand side going towards
Arras and a CWGC signpost is erected on the pavement. Access to the cemetery
is by a turfed chemin d'access between allotments and houses.
The cemetery was begun in March 1917 and used until June. The graves of these four months are in Rows A to C, and the majority are of officers and men of the London Regiment. The cemetery came into use again in August and September 1918, when Rows D and E (mostly Canadian graves) were made. Graves, from Achicourt Churchyard Extension, were added to Row E after the Armistice.
The cemetery was designed by William Harrison Cowlishaw.
Casualty Details: UK 79, Canada 52, Total Burials: 131
Shot at Dawn:
474371 Rifleman, Walter Yeoman, 1st/12th Bn. London Regiment (The Rangers),
03/07/1917, aged 22. Row B. 16. Executed for desertion.
Shot at Dawn: 492050 Private, James Mayers, 1st/13th Kensington Bn. Royal Fusiliers, 16/06/1917. Row C. 11. Executed for desertion. Son of Mrs. M. E. Mayers, of 193, Morning Lane, Hackney, London.
The mass pardon of 306 British Empire soldiers executed for certain offences during the Great War was enacted in section 359 of the Armed Forces Act 2006, which came into effect on royal assent on 8 November 2006.
Click for larger image
Used with permission www.cwgc.org