LOUEZ MILITARY CEMETERY
Pas de Calais
General Directions: Louez Military Cemetery is 4 kilometres north-west of Arras and 1 kilometre north of the main road from Arras to St Pol. The cemetery will be found by taking the road off the D60E at the east end of the village, and then turning right at the 'No Entry' sign.
The cemetery was begun by French troops and taken over by the 51st (Highland) Division as a "front-line cemetery" in March 1916. The 60th (London) Division followed during their short stay in France in the summer of 1916 and the last graves (except two) are those of the Canadian Mounted Rifles, who buried here from November 1916 to March 1917. The French graves were later removed.
Shot at Dawn: Private P. Giles, 14th Bn. Northumberland Fusiliers, shot for desertion on 24/08/1918. Plot 2. F. 6.
The mass pardon of 306 British Empire soldiers executed for certain offences during the Great War was enacted in section 359 of the Armed Forces Act 2006, which came into effect on royal assent on 8 November 2006.
Casualty Details: UK 155, Canada 49, Germany 2, Total Burials: 206