STE. CATHERINE BRITISH CEMETERY
Pas de Calais
General Directions: Ste. Catherine is a village in the Department of the Pas-de-Calais, adjoining the city of Arras on the north side. Ste. Catherine British Cemetery is on the left of the road to Therouanne (the Chaussee Brunehaut [D341]), not far beyond the Church, then along a side street.
From March 1916 to the Armistice, Ste. Catherine was occupied by Commonwealth forces and for much of that time it was within the range of German artillery fire. The cemetery was started in March 1916 and used by the divisions and field ambulances stationed on that side of Arras until the autumn of 1917. The cemetery was enlarged after the Armistice when graves were brought in from the surrounding area. The cemetery was designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield.
Shot at Dawn: 14813 Private, Thomas W. Watts, 7th Bn. East Yorkshire Regiment, executed for desertion 30/08/1917, aged 21. Row E. 32. Son of Robert Watts, of 135, Lewis St., Middle Rainton, Co. Durham. Native of Houghton-le-Spring, Co. Durham.
Shot at Dawn: 19445 Private Walter Neave, 10th Bn. West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Own), executed for desertion 30/08/1917. Row E. 33.
Shot at Dawn: 7423 Private, Charles Henry Kirman, 7th Bn. Lincolnshire Regiment, executed for desertion 23/09/1917, aged 32. Row F. 1. Husband of D. L. Kirman, of 10, Radnor St., Southsea, Portsmouth.
The mass pardon of 306 British Empire soldiers executed for certain offences during the Great War was enacted in section 359 of the Armed Forces Act 2006, which came into effect on royal assent on 8 November 2006.
Casualty Details: UK 314, Canada 32, Australia 1, South Africa 2, Germany 1, Total Burials: 350